Thursday, September 01, 2005

Parental Influence

“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children...” (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)

On this Labor Day weekend, our church is having a summer retreat. For four days and three nights, we will be sharing meals and living space, playing and praying together and having fun. Most importantly, we will be immersed in the truth and grace of God with our church family by studying the Bible. The love and connection we share will fill our souls because we have unity in Christ. It is through such interdependent relationships that I have learned more about myself.

When my Mom told me, “You are beautiful. You are smart ... You need to study hard, work hard, and make money … Don't trust anyone or you will get hurt ... Protect yourself!” I believed her completely. Although Mom passed away when I was 22 years old, I still lived under her influence for many more years. In a way, I was living her script. I thought I was the one who destroyed her marriage and happiness -- because I was born as a girl, not a boy. I told myself, "It is all my fault."

Children tend to personalize circumstances and take on adult responsibilities. What our parents taught us could affect our entire life. Parents, what are you teaching your kids?

Copyright © 2005 Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home