Thursday, September 08, 2005

Priority of Parenting

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understandings; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Our son just came back from Colorado after spending 10 weeks working at a YMCA retreat center in the Rockies. He and other Navigators worked side-by-side with hundreds of International students and reached out to them. I was quite sleepy when my husband and I picked him up. Yet we went for a “midnight snack" in a Chinese restaurant and listened attentively to his summer adventures. I was amazed and pleased with his maturity.

I used to be a workaholic. After working in the high-tech industry as a Software Development Manager for 19 years, I decided to face my fear of insignificance. So, I became a stay-at-home mom when our son was twelve. I was not planning to attend Seminary or to earn a masters degree in counseling; but I did both by God's grace. With Dad spending time with him on Saturdays, I made myself available for him any time on weekdays.

Life is short and there are many things to be done. Setting priority is the first step of time management and stress reduction. I finally figured out that while most tasks could be done by someone else, I was the only mother for our child. Granted that not everybody has the luxury of staying home or working part-time; however, my choice has really paid off. In addition to loving and training our son before he left home for college, I transitioned to a high-touch career doing what I love doing the most, e.g. helping people grow!

Copyright © 2005 Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home