Saturday, May 13, 2006

Repent and Seek Forgiveness

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:8-9)

I have been working on my newsletter for awhile, on and off. I was too busy in April. I felt guilty that I skipped a month, but I really want to send one out before the Mother's Day weekend. So, between appointments, I drove home, pushed myself, and sent it out (to my multiple distribution lists). There. Done. I did it!

It was after 6 p.m. when I got home ... barely enough time to fix and eat dinner, and wash dishes before getting out the door again at 7:25 p.m. Our small group studied Romans 8:5-6 and Galatians 5:19-24. As believers in Christ, we have the freedom to choose between satisfying the desires of our sinful nature or the desires of the Holy Spirit. The message is so fitting with my newsletter.

It was after 11 p.m. when I checked e-mail. Wow. I already got a few replies to the newsletter. Great. After sending something back, I finally read my own newsletter.

What? Why is the distribution list displayed? Oh No! No No No! I forgot to send it to myself and blind copy my readers. I was shocked, embarassed, feeling guilty! I had been very careful to use blind copy since I started the Parenting ABC newsletters last July. What have I done? I told my husband and we prayed together to ask for God's forgiveness. It is too late to do anything else. I have to sleep. Good thing I have kept each list relatively small.

I was thinking about my mistake when I woke up this morning. I know God has forgiven me and still loves me. It is comforting to know, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9).

But something still bothers me. There are people who don't like strangers (even friends of friends) to get their e-mail addresses. Even though I didn't do it intentionally, my action would offend someone. That person would be bothered and annoyed, may be feeling betrayed. I don't want to lose my reader's trust. I believe trust is one the most fundamental elements of any relationship.

Yesterday I wrote, "Our kids already know we are not perfect. Sometimes, we just have to show them how we repent and seek forgiveness." Why can't I just humble myself and tell everyone? Repentence means I know I did something wrong (intentionally or not) and I will turn around and don't do the same thing again. I have a choice. I can follow my sinful desires (to save face) by denying the problem or giving excuses to justify myself, or to follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit to admit my errors publicly, in my blog. I cannot control how others think and feel. However, I can always lift my burdens to God in prayers and do my part:

"I am really sorry about listing your e-mail address on my newsletter. Will you forgive me?"

Copyright © 2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home