Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Delay and Wait

Now a man named Lazarus was sick... This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick." When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days. (John 11:1-6)

I have been worrying about our last suitcase because of all the special items that our son spent hours to seek and bargain for in China. Why does losing our son's bag bother me so much? Like many parents, we do not want our child to suffer big loss. I don't know why out of the four bags, this one bag has to be lost. I truly rather lose my bag than his. Today, this Bible passage really helps me.

Although Jesus stayed put for two more days before going to Bethany, although Lazarus indeed died before Jesus arrived, we read from the rest of the chapter that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. Our Lord's delay is always intentional and deliberate.

What is the chance of one suitcase showing up later than the other three? I am skeptical! However, I know God loves us and somehow our son will be okay. I just have to wait and see.

Copyright © 2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home