Thursday, September 07, 2006

Singing with CCCMIW

"I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you." (Psalm 63:4-5)

Do you love to sing? I do. However, I was discouraged years ago when I tried singing out loud. It could be really scary singing in front of people, and any criticism might cause us to back off. That's why we left singing in public to professional musicians.

We have the freedom to be who we really are in Christ, and there is no fear in love. So, as a one-year old beliver, I joined our church choir. We practiced early every Sunday morning before adult Sunday School and worship, and we stayed after lunch to practice the songs for the following weeks. Singing in a choir taught me what it meant to be a faithful servant and member of the church! We do our parts, harmonize our voices, and follow the conductor.

In September 2001, I started singing across churches in the Bay area with the Chinese Christian Church Music Institute for Worship (CCCMIW). It was a time of emotinal ups and down for me since our son just left for college. Empty nest was more difficult than I thought, especially right after the 911 Twin Towers attack. With Dr. Richard Lin as our conductor, I found joy in our weekly practice, it was actually a worship, fellowship, and learning experience. Music heals our souls.

In August 2003, the CCCMIW choir (with over 100 singers and musicians) sang Messiah by Handel at the St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco. Just five weeks after a major surgery, I was driven to and from the music camp for Messiah rehearsal by our son (who was back from college for the summer). The Lord strengthened me as I continued to sing everyday. Imagine my joy to sing in a choir with my own son. Not only that, he and another college student sang in Mandarin even thougth they were born in the United States!

For various reasons, I could not sing with Dr. Lin and his choir the last few years but I yearned to go back. Tonight, I resumed. Even though I am still extremely busy, even though I live much further away, it is absolutely worthwhile. Why would some brothers and sisters drove 1.5 hours one-way to sing with the CCCMIW choir on a week night? Because we are inspired!

Dr. Lin passes on his love for God, people and music to young (and not so young) people. His life and his ministry touch the lives of many. He is a servant of God who is truly Christlike. Watch this SOBEM video interview by Showers of Blessing Evangelistic Ministry.

Copyright © 2005-2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home