Thursday, June 14, 2007

Witnessing for Christ

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9)

You may have heard about the woman who had heavy bleeding for twelve years. Not only was it uncomfortable and inconvenient, she was considered unclean in those days. She suffered physically and emotionally (as people rejected her). She spent a lot of money but doctors only made things worse!

When she heard about the great doctor, she wanted to give it one last try. But this time, knowing what Jesus could do, she had a different type of confidence: "If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed" (Mark 5:28). Therefore she sneaked up behind Jesus in the crowd and touched his cloak. Lo and behold, her bledding stopped immediately. She was freed from her suffering!

Wow! What great power! The woman could go home now. Nobody would know what happened. Nobody, except Jesus. He realized power had gone out from him and he asked, "Who touched my clothes?"

His disciples thought that was a silly question among a HUGE crowd. But Jesus kept looking and waited. Finally, the woman knew she could no longer hide. She came and fell at Jesus' feet. Trembling with fear, she confessed the truth.

When I put my faith in Jesus on January 28, 1989, I experienced great joy and peace. Sister Jill started visiting me weekly and taught me about my new life in Christ. I started daily devotion from the book of Matthew. On March 26, 1989, I read this story about the woman from Mark 5:25-34.

All in a sudden, I realized I was trying to follow Jesus secretly. Of course I told my husband and son (I had been taking him to church and they saw Jill every Wednesday night) but I was not ready to tell the world. I knew I was saved and Jesus knew it. He wanted to give me (like that woman) a chance to confess in front of other people. I could no longer hide. I signed up and was baptisted at our church on April 30 that year.

It has been a long time but I know why Jesus wanted me to do it. What he told the woman applies to me, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering" (Mark 5:34)!

Copyright © 2005-2007 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home