Friday, October 26, 2007

Does Anyone Care?

On October 21-24, I attended a retreat with twenty-five women near Yosemite. I almost did not go because my heart was heavy with the recent diagnosis and treatment options for James' left eye. But he reminded me how I enjoyed the last two retreats and signed up very early for this one. He said, “Don’t worry. Remember you wanted a few days away from me?”

I knew he had to go back and forth using e-mails and phone calls to make appointments. Time is the essence but my cell phone may not work in the mountains. Finally, I told him, "Whatever schedule they come up with, if you feel comfortable after praying, go ahead."

I told my small group on Sunday night but it was at the end of Tuesday night that I asked everyone to pray for my husband. "I really don't know whether James should have an operation. There are benefits but there are risks and complications. We have no idea when the doctor(s) can schedule his surgery. If that happens, he has to face down for 2-3 weeks and wait for the gas bubble to dissolve in 6-8 weeks. We have bought tickets to leave on December 25th for a mission trip in Europe."

They prayed for us (and other people). Afterwards, some of them told me they knew people with similar surgery and recovered well. The next day,
while I was touring Yosemite with some of these sisters, James got onto surgery calendar with Dr. L. The date of operation is November 13th, exactly six weeks from December 25th!

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home