Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Hope in the Lord - Soar Like Eagles

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:29-31)

From as earlier as I could remember, I was told these words: "Get a good education, find a good job, work hard, save money. You need to take care of yourself. Don't trust anyone to take care of you, especially not your husband." These were mom's words of wisdom for my own good, based on her experience. It was hard for my mom to feel rejected and betrayed for giving birth to two girls in a row.

Being the second girl, I was determined to prove that I was better than the boys. I studied Math and Science, became student leader, played basketball and ran track. In college, I majored in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I was driven to succeed in the then male-dominated software business. My IQ (and a Berkeley degree) got me hired, my hard work and EQ got me promoted again and again. I directed engineering teams and coordinated complex development projects. My mom would have been so proud of me!

Unfortunately, my mom passed away at age 48 even before I graduated from college, so she never had a chance to share my successes. Deep down inside, I felt inadequate as a wife and a mother. To avoid the pain of not measuring up, I focused on what I did well and became a workaholic. In my early thirties, I already had everything I ever wanted but I felt tired and my life felt empty. What would happen after my half time?

My life changed after I became a Christian in January 1989. My spiritual renewal helped me transitioned into the second half of my life. With new found faith, hope and love, I started to trust in the Lord and did not rely on my own understanding. Secured in God's love, I stepped into uncharted waters. In the last 17 years, I have built new software teams, filed a few patents, became a stay-at-home mom, seminary student, Children's minister, counseling intern, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and even a pastor's wife. (Oh yes, the engineer I married 30 years ago has become a minister of God's Words.) I sing, write, train, and counsel people, experiencing freedom I never had before.

I am discovering who God has designed me to be and what He has purposed me to do. I'm having fun and adventures with my family and friends. In my mind's eyes, I have indeed soared like eagles. That's one of the reasons I identify myself as an eagle.

Copyright © 2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home