Saturday, December 03, 2005

Lasting Friendship

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." (Matthew 10:42).

I attended a "Christmas Soiree" where a couple were hosting a little something all day with continuous feasting, conversations, and festivities for friends who were dropping in. I had a great time because I got to talk to many people: some I already knew, and others I met at the party. These friends are from different periods of his, her, and their life as husband and wife. I could tell they are open, caring and accepting by their choice of friends: people from different walks of life, different marital/parental status, different age groups, and people from different countries speaking different languages.

One man told me he met the hostess in elementary school. "We were in fifth grade. I just came from Hong Kong and I could only speak Cantonese. She was the only person kind to me. She translated for me and helped me with my English." Their families moved and they lost touch and were not reconnected until a few years ago. He is now a business man with degrees from Harvard and Berkeley. She
graduated from Stanford and is a stay-at-home mom with two little boys. I took a picture for them and he said, "She really helped me."

On my way home, I thought about one 5th-grade girl I counseled years ago.
Her parents were originally from India and she was born in the United States. Although her mom and dad were high functioning professionals, the girl was sad and lonely after moving here from the East Coast. I am glad that I was there during her critical time of adjustment.

Parents, do your kids have friends? Are you aware how difficult it could be for kids to move to a new country, a new neighborhood, or even just a new school? Would you encourage your children to reach out and help someone new?

Copyright © 2005 Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home