Thursday, March 30, 2006

A Time for Everything

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace." (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

I am so touched by your responses to my newsletter. Sometimes I try to answer individual messages immediately and sometimes I simply cannot. The hardest ones are from old friends whom I really want to talk with. We are now scattered around the world but we still care about each other. Naturally I want to share more with such person(s), so I save the e-mail and tell myself I will get to it later, when I have more time.

You know what I am talking about. Right? Sometimes we simply get confused between what is urgent and want is important.

In parenting, be aware that if you don't talk and play with your kids when they are young, they may not want to talk with or spend time with you when you have time. Children and teenagers often spell love with four letters: T I M E.

In my early and mid thirties, I was really really busy. I looked around and everybody was busy, climbling the corporate ladder. Again and again, people told me, "Work hard and save money. Then after your retirement you can really enjoy!" Having my parents passed away so early (mom at age 48 and dad at age 60) did not help. I asked myself, "How do I know I can live pass 65?"

I'm so happy that one friend wrote me again this morning, even though I did not reply last month. Of course I have my reasons, but reasons look like excuses on the receiving end. I feel relieved when I read that letter. I am so grateful that my friend still loves me. That is the other side of love, examplified by our Lord and Savior! Are you disappointed or mad at your kids? Only love can bring them back!

Copyright © 2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home