Friday, February 17, 2006

Who Am I Anyway?

"Does the eagle soar at your command and build his nest on high?" (Job 39:27) "Who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's?" (Psalm 103:5)

God has changed me so drastically in the second half of my life that sometimes people could not figure me out. Those who worked with me 15-25 years ago may only remember me as a no-nonsense technical, analytical, professional business woman. However, those who know me for 10 years or less may only see me as a touchy feely type. Who am I really? In the last two blog entries, I share why I identify myself as an eagle. Do you know which animals or birds your kids and teenagers identify themselves with?

Sometimes we do things according to our history and culture, living out a script that someone else has written. The traditional Chinese culture may teach children to be humble while in the United States people say, "If you don't toot your own horn, nobody else will." How then shall we teach our kids?

I would have never known the importance of training and molding our son to be an American Born Christian (ABC) if I did not experience the grace of God. One of the best gifts parents can give to our kids is an appropriate view of who God is and who we are. God has designed and given each of us some gifts and talents, yet we all have our limits because we are mere human beings. The more we understand and accept our own feeling, thinking, desires, wishes, strengths and weaknesses, the more comfortable we are under our own skins. When we feel safe, we can be vulnerable, humble, and open to love and life.

Do you know people who are very controlling? Everything has to happen according to to their ways and their timing. Watch your children's attitudes and help them to be humble and open. I am not talking about false humility or putting up a facade, and I am not talking about feeling inferior. Help your kids to be who they are designed to be.

As Christian, I believe our ultimate purpose is to glorify God. The best way to do so is to fully develop into whom God has created us to be.

Copyright © 2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home