Saturday, May 27, 2006

Earthquake in Indonesia and Fear

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

This morning, I just read the news about a 6.2 earthquake that killed at least 3,000 in Indonesia. Thousands were reported injured in central Java province.

Last night in Fellowship, we studied how Jesus calmed the storm (Mark 5:35-41). When Jesus rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He asked his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

We explored our own fears: Death, serious sickness, earthquakes, storms, and unemployment. I shared my fear of car accidents. Almost 30 years ago, my car was hit by a hit-and-run drunk driver on the freeway near Palo Alto. He was going from lane to lane in high speed and did not stop until Milpitas in spite of police car and helicopter chases in the morning commute.

I am still grateful for all those people who called police with their CB radios. Other than physical injury to my back and neck, I suffered great fear. Not only did I refuse to drive for months. Later, when I started driving, I became extremely defensive. I spent a lot of time looking into my rear view mirror to make sure nobody was going to hit me from nowhere again.

Do you know how I eventually got out of such fear? By memorizing Isaiah 41:10 and reciting it while I was driving! God can use His word to talk to us. Trust Him.

Copyright © 2006 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home