Saturday, June 16, 2007

Cancer Care Training

Do you know someone whose life has been touched by cancer?

In 1985, my father was diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed away the following year at age 60. A few months before dad died, I was able to visit him in Hong Kong with my husband and our very young son. When we returned to United States, I was in despair but I did not tell anyone. It was one more blow of life. I did not want to deal with losing dad after losing mom ten years prior. I did not want to talk about death. I did not even attend his funeral! I loved my dad but I turned all my attention to work.

A few years ago, I met two Christian men, Emery Kong (Mandarin) and Ernest Lam (Cantonese) from the "Herald Cancer Care Network." Each man lost his first wife to cancer. Not only did they went through the valley of death with their spouses and kids, they are now helping cancer patients and their families.

Emery and Ernest regularly conduct training workshops on Cancer Care. You can details on their website at cancer.cchc.org

Here is a news article about the "Herald Cancer Care Network" caring ministry for Chinese cancer patients through its new office in Milpitas, California based on an interview with Emery, the Director of that ministry.

Meeting Jesus in 1989 changed my perspective about many things. Everyone dies but we can choose how to live. No matter what difficulties we have to face, there is hope in Christ. When I told my sister my new belief, she (who was a Buddhist then) told me an unexpected news: "Dad also became a Christian a few months before he died!"

Many times, I imagined what my dad went through all his life, having two wives, taking care of two sets of family. I knew he would understand what it meant that "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). I am so grateful that Jesus gave dad another chance!

Pray that God will raise up more caregivers, and pray for their training workshops. They need more volunteers to care for the ever-increasing number of cancerpatients who come to them to seek help. Attending the workshops do not mean committing to volunteer. It will give you some basic training that you may be able to use in the future, just in case.

Copyright © 2005-2007 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home