Saturday, October 08, 2005

End of Life Wishes

"The length of our days is seventy years— or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away ... Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:10,12)

At a recent cancer care training, a nurse shared her experience working at a hospice for over 10 years. She prepares her patients by helping them ask these important questions ahead of time.

(1) How do I wish to be treated (e.g. resuscitated or not) when I could no longer make decision? Where do I want to spend my last days on earth? What level of comfort care do I want?

(2) Who are the person(s) I want to see the most? Are there any unfinished businesses that I have to resolve? Who do I need to spend one-on-one quality time with?

(3) What do I need in terms of a life review? Do I have any spiritual needs? Is there any special music or video I would like to have playing in my room?

At the end of life, what matters the most is a person's relationships with God, self, and others. None of us know how long we will live. If you have any misunderstanding or conflict with someone you really love and care about, don't hold onto it until the end. Resolve your issues and reconcile with the person today!

Copyright © 2005 Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home