Friday, November 04, 2005

I Never Heard Him Said Sorry

"yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended ... (2 Corinthians 7:9)

On 4/14/1989, a man murdered seven people including his wife and their two daughters (4 years old and 22 months old). His middle daughter (only 3 y.o.) was badly wounded and left to die. Miraculously she was discovered. Later, she was adopted and raised in Missouri.

Sixteen years later, Carminal Saleido, the lone survivor of the horrific murder, returned to California. Now she talked about being taken to the city dump with her two sisters. She watched dad cut their throats. "Doctors said my neck was also cut for 5 to 6 inches in length ... I only remembered how frightened I was and how he kicked me to the side." Three little bodies were later found by someone. That man initially thought they were broken dolls until he saw Carminal moved.

Ramon Saleido was sent to San Quentin on death row. Carminal was asked how she felt about the dad who killed her mom, grandma, 2 aunts and 2 sisters. She answered with a painful stare, "In my heart I have forgiven him ... but I never heard him said sorry." Did he feel any guilt or sorrow for what he had done? Has he repented?

Most of us do not hurt our children in such horrible crimes. However, children of all ages yearned for unconditional love from their parents. As a counselor, I often heard these words from troubled teenagers: "My parents were always right. I was always wrong ... They never said sorry." Have your actions and words hurt your kids? Is there anyone who needs your apology?

Copyright © 2005 Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home