Sunday, June 17, 2007

Abraham's Two Wives and Two Sons

Soon after I was born, my dad had his mistress (who later became his concubine). "Having a son" was the excuse to justify their affair. Sure enough, my half-brother was born when I was one year old. Dad had a son, although illegitmate.

Unfortunately, tragedy struck. When my half-brother was ten, he was run over and killed by his school bus. The most terrible thing is that the accident happened right in front of his mother. She and her little daughter were standing on the balcony of the high rise building where they lived. My half-brother was crossing the street and waving at them. Needless to say, our dad was deeply sorrow and guilt-stricken. Ironically, one year before that fatal accident, my family celebrated the birth of my little brother.

Every time when I read the triangle among Abraham, Sarah and Hagar in the Bible, I thought about my parents and the other woman. You may read about their story from the book of Genesis. Sarah thought she could never have a baby so she suggested Abraham to sleep with her own maid Hagar. Although Hagar gave birth to a son Ishmael but that was not God's intention. Years later, despite her old age, Sarah gave birth to Isaac who was the legitimate son God promised Abraham. God made it happen in His divine appointed time.

Although doctors warned my mom never to get pregnant again. Mom continued to try and gave dad a legitimate son nine years after I was born. Who could imagine my half-brother's death a year later?

Copyright © 2005-2007 Winnis Chiang, Parenting ABC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home