Friday, May 02, 2008

Another Car Trouble?

When I returned home on Tuesday April 29, James told me his right eye was seeing wavy lines. The news did not really sink in. We had to hurry off to a co-workers' meeting. Afterwards, I still had to prepare something before Thursday, May 1.

I really had many things on my mind for the next two days. For one thing, we were starting a new series on “Three Generations” on Thursday morning; for another thing, I was giving a workshop in Thursday evening about “Stress During Martial Conflicts” at another church.

I eagerly jumped into our car after the Wednesday evening prayer meeting. Oops, I could not start it. We changed seats quickly so James could try. No luck. He called AAA and we waited for someone to rescue us.
What I learned from the Couples Conference was still fresh in my mind, so I decided to stay calm and enjoy the opportunity of some one-on-one time with James.

The first AAA guy showed up within half-an-hour. Thank God! He set out to charge our battery. It did not work. After checking something he declared, “Your battery may be fine. I have to call someone else. Wait here." So he left and we waited.

The second guy came in another half-an-hour. Within a few minutes, we heard, “Your battery is fine. It is probably your starter. We need to tow you.” Just as he was saying that, his phone rang. “It’s the CHP. There is an accident! I need to go immediately. Wait here. I’ll find someone else to help you.”

James and I talked some more. Around 10:30 p.m., a big tow truck arrived. The third guy was big and tall. “I came from Fremont so it took some time.” He checked our car and shook his head. He tilted the flatbed and lowered a big chain. He hooked the chain to the bottom of our car's back end. Then he asked James to get in, put the car in neutral, and turn the wheels. I watched in amazement how this big guy pushed our car up the flatbed of his tow truck. Finally off we went. By the time James wrote a note and dropped our key off at a nearby repair shop, it was already 11 p.m.

We lost two hours and had only one car to use the next morning. Luckily we were able to arrange rides to pick people up. We started our new series on time. By late afternoon, our car was fixed. We arrived my workshop without delay.

Car troubles happen to everyone from time to time. Wouldn't it be nice if our car starter lasts forever, our battery never runs out, and there are no nails on the road? How about our life?

To the woman at the well, Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water" (John 4:13-15).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home