Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Anxiety Kills

Today is the big day! I went to the post office, the gym, and the grocery store in the morning. I knew I had to take care of James after the surgery. When I got home, I was shocked that James had moved the facedown chair upstairs and set up his computer screen so that he could see it when facing down.

He had a happy face when he showed me his proud accomplishment. Instead, I was mad. "Why did you do that? You are not supposed to move heavy stuff. And why do you have to use your computer after surgery?"

At that moment, the phone rang and a sister asked about the time of surgery. "We have to check in at 12:30 or so. It may be 1-2 hours before they operate." When she said she wanted to come to pray with me, I said no. I was still angry when I took the garbage out. Then I heard her voice. She was getting out of her car holding a box and some Chinese newspapers. "I'm not going to come in. I baked a banana cake. Here, some World Journals for you to read."

We will be leaving for the hospital soon. Sure I was anxious about what would happen, but why didn't I try to understand his perspective? After all, this is before his operation! All he wanted is to make his recuperation a little more enjoyable. Instead of showing some understanding and acceptance, I was mad at him. Is that the way to prepare someone for surgery? Ugh! I'd better apologize before we go!

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" (Galatians 5:22-23).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home